Monday, February 13, 2017

My 21st Birthday Party

http://wp-files.dealerrefresh.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/surprise-jpg-w300h104.jpeg

I thought the night before my 21st birthday would be similar to most Friday nights. My boyfriend and I usually eat dinner at a sushi restaurant in my town, yum! We arrived at the restaurant and walked toward our usual seats at the sushi bar. Suddenly I heard a group of people scream, "SURPRISE!" Wow, I was so surprised to see my brother, parents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and friends sitting at a long table in the restaurant. Whoa, I couldn't believe everyone kept such a gigantic secret from me! I had tons of fun eating at my favorite restaurant with my favorite people to celebrate my birthday.

Vocabulary
similar (adjective) - almost the same as something or someone
arrive (verb) - to come to a place
toward (preposition) - in the direction of something or someone
usual (adjective) - normal or regular
suddenly (adverb) - very quickly and in an unexpected way
surprise (noun) - used as an interjection
gigantic (adjective) - extremely large
ton (noun) - a large amount

Vocabulary Exercise 
Fill in the missing letters to form a vocabulary word that matches the hint.
1. t _ _ _ _ d (I am in the direction of something or someone)
2. _ _ _ _ _ _ ic (I am extremely large)
3. s _ _ _ _ _ _ e (I am used as an interjection)
4. s _ _ _ _ ar (I am almost the same as something or someone)
5. s _ _ _ _ _ ly (I am very quickly and in an unexpected way)
6. t _ _ (I am a large amount)
7. u _ _ _ l (I am normal or regular)
8. a _ _ _ _ e (I am the word for when you come to a place)

Grammar Point
Interjections are words used to show strong feeling or sudden emotion. They are used in sentences to show emotions such as surprise, joy, excitement, or enthusiasm. For example, I wrote, "Whoa, I couldn't believe everyone kept such a gigantic secret from me!" I used the word "whoa" as an interjection in my sentence to show that I was surprised.

Grammar Exercise: 
Which interjections do you see in my paragraph? Write three sentences using interjections.

Watch this video if you want to learn more about interjections!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkAX7Vk3JEw

1 comment:

  1. Good entry! That was a really nice birthday surprise. I like your vocabulary and grammar points.

    ReplyDelete